Bhutan Active Tour - A cycling, hiking and cultural sightseeing adventure in The Land of the Thunder Dragon
Land of the Thunder Dragon
Hidden away high up in the mighty Himalayan Mountains, the Kingdom of Bhutan is a destination that even the most seasoned travellers consider a privilege to visit. Bhutan has remained relatively isolated from western influence, having only opened its doors to tourism in 1974, thus enabling it to maintain its strong Buddhist heritage. Sacred monasteries sit precariously on sheer cliffs, fluttering prayer flags line high mountain ridges, crimson robed monks chant in distant temples, and colourful, masked dancers perform ancient rituals on sacred Dzong (fortress) grounds during Buddhist festivals. The people of Bhutan have drawn a rich culture from this heritage and made it the essence of their timeless identity.
Bushido will make your trip to Bhutan a once in a lifetime experience.
At Bushido, we believe that the most exhilarating and unforgettable way to experience the heart and soul of this unique destination is to incorporate cycling and hiking into your itinerary. With much of the kingdom covered with ancient forests and high alpine meadows, this will not only bring you closer to nature, but also provide you with ample opportunities to meet local people. Much of the road network in Bhutan is being upgraded at present, so we have carefully selected routes to ensure you will enjoy your time on two wheels on quieter, well maintained roads with easy to moderate, manageable climbs. In fact, a large percentage of the distance cycled is "gravity assisted"... freewheeling from the top to the bottom of the mountains! The hiking is varied and interesting, with the more demanding stretches are amply rewarded with spectacular views.
We walk through moss-covered forests to ancient monasteries with panoramic views of the Himalayas, passing rice fields en route to historic temples. Spectacular views will greet us as we make our way above the tree line at over 4000 metres, passing grazing yaks and flowering rhododendron, to then trek along designated nature trails among the scenic splendour trek of the Phobjihka Valley, seasonal home to graceful black-necked cranes.
The Bushido Active Tour in Bhutan, Land of the Thunder Dragon, will mentally, physically and spiritually exhilarate adventurous souls. It truly is a unique and special place that will stay with you forever and leave you wanting to come back for more.
- Hike to the world-famous Paro Taktsang Monastery, more commonly known as the Tiger's Nest. Built into a sheer cliff face at over 900 metres, the Tiger's Nest is one of the most spectacular buildings in Asia.
- Experience the monastic way of life with an overnight stay at the spectacular Dodedrak Monastry. Option to join the morning prayers and meditation.
- Drive to the incredible Cheli-la pass at 3998 metres and then walk spectacular paths at over 4000 metres to the Kila Nunnery, the oldest of its kind in Bhutan.
- Enjoy gravity assisted cycling for more than 40kms from mountain tops to valley floors. An exciting and relaxing way to take in the stunning scenery and spectacular views.
- Explore the small and attractive capital city Thimphu by car and on foot. Highlights include visits to the Memorial Chorten, Textile Museum and the National Art School.
- Hike from the Dochu-la pass to the breathtaking Lungchutse Monastery through moss-covered forest. If the weather is clear we can enjoy panoramic views of the Himalayas.
- Cycle dramatic roads between Paro and Thimphu, Bhutan's largest centres.
- Overnight stay in the stunning Phobjikha Valley. Visit the impressive Gangteng Monastery and walk beautiful nature trails across the grass and flower covered valley floor.
- Stay in Punakha, Bhutan's extraordinary former capital. Cycle and hike along the beautiful valley floor and through the rice fields.
- Visit Punakha Zhong (fortress) and the memorable Chimi Lhakhang, the temple of the "Divine Madman!"
- Enjoy delicious, authentic food in a historic and traditional farm house.
- Hike in the beautiful hills around Paro and Thimphu and enjoy spectacular views over these charming centres.
tour cost: £2775 GBP (Great British Pounds)
2018 tour Dates:
1: March 23rd - April 2nd - FULL!
2: October 17th - 27th -5 places left!
2019 tour Dates:
1. March 22nd - April 1st
Between three (3) and fourteen (14), plus tour leader and local guides
11 days, 10 nights
Quality 3-star hotels on a twin share basis with a member of the same sex.
One night in a shared room at Dodedrak Monastery
Cycling: Easy to Moderate (2/5)
Hiking: Moderate (3.5/5)
Flights in and out of Bhutan can be booked through our agent at no extra cost. Flight prices change daily, but the below is a good guide. PLEASE NOTE, FLIGHTS TO AND FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRIES TO THESE DESTINATIONS NEED TO BE ORGANISED AND PAID FOR SEPARATELY.
Bangkok – Paro – Bangkok: USD 754.50
Delhi- Paro – Delhi: USD 675.00
Kolkata – Paro – Kolkata: USD 459.00
Kathmandu – Paro – Kathmandu: USD 426.0
Flights can also be booked and paid for online at http://www.drukair.com.bt
- Accommodation in 3-star hotels on a twin/double sharing basis. High quality hotels and guesthouses, carefully selected for their comfort, service, ambience, cuisine and amenities.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Meals are served in hotels and restaurants that are recognised for their superior service, quality cuisine and hygiene.
- Bicycle Hire
- Bicycle support vehicle and mechanic
- In-country transportation using quality vehicles, operated by our highly trained and friendly drivers.
- Services of a Tour Leader
- English speaking local guides, carefully selected for their expert knowledge and experience and all certified by the Tourism Council of Bhutan.
- Monument fees
- Government Royalty
- Permit fees
- Visa fee
- A bottle of mineral water per day
What's not included:
- Travel insurance
- Single Room Supplement
- Extra baggage charges
- Telephone calls
- Personal expenses
- Tipping for guides & driver