Bhutan Cultural and Walking Adventure - An active and unforgettable journey deep into 'The Land of the Thunder Dragon'
(2019 TOUR DATES: April 2nd - April 13th)
'Land of the Thunder Dragon'
Hidden away up high in the mighty Himalayan Mountains, the Kingdom of Bhutan is a destination that even the most seasoned travellers consider a privilege to visit. Bhutan has remained relatively isolated from western influence, having only opened its doors to tourism in 1974, enabling it to maintain its strong Buddhist heritage. Sacred monasteries sit precariously on sheer cliffs, fluttering prayer flags line high mountain ridges, crimson robed monks chant in distant temples, and colourful, masked dancers perform ancient rituals on sacred Dzong (fortress) grounds during Buddhist festivals. The people of Bhutan have drawn a rich culture from this heritage and made it the essence of their timeless identity.
Bushido will make your trip to Bhutan a once in a lifetime experience.
At Bushido, our tours are specifically designed to take you off the beaten path and away from the crowds. By incorporating moderate hiking and carefully planned yet exhilarating walks into the tour itinerary, our tours offer an unforgettable way to experience the heart and soul of this unique destination. With much of the kingdom covered with ancient forests and high alpine meadows, this will not only bring you closer to nature, but also provide you with ample opportunities to meet local people.
Walk through moss-covered forests to ancient monasteries with panoramic views of the Himalayas. Explore the balmy valleys of Punakha, the former capital, and walk through rice fields and dusty villages en route to a magnificent stupa and the unforgettable Fertility Temple. The Phobjihka Valley, seasonal home to graceful black-necked cranes, is surely one of the most spectacular and breathtakingly beautiful places in the world. Here we visit the Gangtey Monastery, before walking along a nature trial across the 3000 metre high grassy plains. A two-night stay in the incredibly beautiful Bumthang District of Central Bhutan offers a chance to experience, feel and breathe a remote corner of the world that few travelers are privileged enough to visit. An overnight stay in an ancient monastery high above the capital city of Thimphu and dinner with a local family in their traditional farmhouse will help ensure you have an experience of a lifetime.
The Bushido Bhutan Culture and Walking Tour , Land of the Thunder Dragon, will mentally, physically and spiritually exhilarate adventurous souls. It truly is a unique and special place that will stay with you forever and leave you wanting to come back for more.
(For a Bhutan Tour that also includes cycling, please see our Bhutan Active Tour)
- Hike to the world-famous Paro Taktsang Monastery, more commonly known as the Tiger's Nest. Built into a sheer cliff face at over 900 metres, the Tiger's Nest is one of the most spectacular buildings in Asia.
- Experience the monastic way of life with an overnight stay at the spectacular Dodedrak Monastry. Option to join the morning prayers and meditation.
- Three night stay in the remote and stunning region of Bumthang. Enjoy hiking to Membartsho, known as the "Burning Lake" and to the Padtselling Monastery.
- Visit a Yathra weaving centre in the small village of Chumey.
- Explore the small and attractive capital city Thimphu by car and on foot. Highlights include visits to the Memorial Chorten, Textile Museum and the National Art School.
- Hike from the Dochula Pass to the breathtaking Lungchutse Monastery through moss-covered forest. If the weather is clear we can enjoy panoramic views of the Himalayas. Continue a little further to Hongtsho via Trashigang Goempa, where we can experience a special butter lamp ceremony.
- Overnight stay in the stunning Phobjikha Valley. Visit the impressive Gangteng Monastery and walk beautiful nature trails across the grass and flower covered valley floor.
- Stay in Punakha, Bhutan's extraordinary former capital. Visit Punakha Zhong (fortress) and the memorable Chimi Lhakhang, the temple of the "Divine Madman!"
- Enjoy authentic food in a historic and traditional farm house.
- Hike in the hills around Paro and Thimphu and enjoy spectacular views over these charming centres.
tour cost: £2995 GBP (Great British Pounds)
2019 tour Dates:
Group 1: April 2nd - April 13th
Group 2: TBC
12 days, 11 nights.
Between five (5) and fourteen (14), plus tour leader and local staff.
Quality 3-star hotels on a twin share basis with a member of the same sex.
One night in a shared room at Dodedrak Monastery.
SINGLE ROOM SUPPLEMENT:
250 Pounds per person. For 10 nights. Not available at Monastery
Walking: Moderate (3/5). A reasonable level of fitness is necessary to fully enjoy this tour.
Flights in and out of Bhutan can be booked through our agent at no extra cost. Flight prices change daily, but the below is a good guide. PLEASE NOTE, FLIGHTS TO AND FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRIES TO THESE DESTINATIONS NEED TO BE ORGANISED AND PAID FOR SEPARATELY.
Bangkok – Paro – Bangkok: USD 798.50
Delhi- Paro – Delhi: USD 675.00
Kolkata – Paro – Kolkata: USD 459.00
Kathmandu – Paro – Kathmandu: USD 426.0
Flights can also be booked and paid for online at http://www.drukair.com.bt
- Accommodation in 3-star hotels on a twin/double sharing basis. High quality hotels and guesthouses, carefully selected for their comfort, service, ambience, cuisine and amenities.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Meals are served in hotels and restaurants that are recognised for their superior service, quality cuisine and hygiene.
- INTERNAL flight from Paro to Bumthang.
- In-country transportation using quality vehicles, operated by our highly trained and friendly drivers.
- Services of a Tour Leader.
- English speaking local guides, carefully selected for their expert knowledge and experience and all certified by the Tourism Council of Bhutan.
- Monument fees.
- Government Royalty.
- Permit fees.
- Visa fee.
- A bottle of mineral water per day.
What's not included:
- Travel insurance.
- Airfare (other than the domestic flight within Bhutan).
- Single Room Supplement.
- Extra baggage charges.
- Telephone calls.
- Personal expenses.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Tipping for guides & driver.